COVID-19 has forced those who normally work in an office every day to transition to a work from home set-up. I firmly believe this will be our reality of sometime and even after this COVID-19 pandemic is behind us, there is a strong likelihood that this pandemic will shift the way business is done forever.
To listen to the full podcast, click below:
So, how do you SHOW UP for work when you don’t physically have to be in an office? The rules of engagement may look a bit different, but the reality is, professionalism doesn’t stop because you are behind a Zoom meeting! Our podcast guest this week, Deb Sofield, an internationally known Speaker, Author, and Executive Speech Coach, shared some tips for those who are quarantined behind a computer screen:
- SHOW UP- be your best self, work hard, and show dedication to your job. This is not the time to be on a “corona-break.” Save that for 5pm, with a lime!
- Dress the Part—don’t look sloppy. This will matter long after Coronavirus ends. You should look as though you care about the work you are doing. Comb your hair, look professional.
- If you are presenting via video conference, STAND UP!
- Ensure your background is not distracting and pleasing to your audience. This is not the time to showcase your messy room.
- Don’t be too close to your camera screen—sit back a bit.
- Don’t take conference calls from a bed or lounge on a couch.
This transition to a more work from home culture has been brewing for considerable time. Let’s make this the opportunity to showcase just how professional and effective we can be from home! It could be a game changer forever!
Thank you for supporting SurviveHR. If Steve or I can ever be of assistance to you, please don’t hesitate to reach out. A big shout out this week to our guest, Deb Sofield. You can find her at debsofield.com. She is simply amazing!